ANDREW WOODHOUSE

My photo
I am an art director / production designer in both feature and television animation. The posts here are a mixture of professional and personal art.

Friday 30 January 2015

I was the art director on "Gnomeo and Juliet" starting back in 2008. I was immensley privileged to work with Karen deJong the production designer, and Kelly Asbury the director of the feature, as well as the great Gary Dunn, who designed all the marvelous characters. http://www.mr-dunn-characterdesign.com
My job was to guide the creation and look of all 3d assets- characters, props, sets, foilage, matte paintings....from the flat page all the way through to final picture, according to Karen's and Kelly's wishes. I also painted some matte paintings, color keys, additional designs and anything else that needed attention.
I directly oversaw all you see below, but keep in mind that many dedicated, hard working people contributed to the content. Unfortuately I am not good at keeping records of my original art and designs after a project, which is why there are mostly only final shots below instead! I seem to do that- and that's a bad thing.




 An example of a color key I painted over the layout screengrab:


...and the final shot: 


                                                    some of my matte painting work...










I remember having quite the discussion with the director Kelly Asbury in a lighting review over the pretend high price of the Terrafirminator. I won and got to keep it at that price- since I also designed it and its website! I never did see that pretend money though.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive